The inauguration of the newly-elected Board of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN), scheduled for today in Abuja, has been postponed for over a week because of activities marking the second year of democratic rule in Nigeria on May 29th.
All 12 members of the AFN Board, led by former Delta State Commissioner of Sports, Solomon Ogba, will now report in the Nigerian capital on Tuesday 9 June, 2009 for the ceremony.
The members were elected into the executive Board of the Federation at the last election held on 13 May 2009 at the National Stadium complex in Abuja.
Solomon Ogba emerged unopposed as the President after his main rival - the Benue State Governor, Gabriel Suswan - stepped down at the last minute and nominated him for the position of President.
Governor Suswan was however made the honorary President of the Federation and the immediate past AFN President, Mrs. Violet Odogwu-Nwajei, made the honorary Vice President.
Below is the full composition of the AFN Board:
- Honorary President - Governor Gabriel Suswan
- President - Chief Solomon Ogba
- Honorary Vice President - Mrs. Violet Odogwu-Nwajei, MON
- 1st Vice President – Engr. Ibrahim Shehu Gusau
- 2nd Vice President – Dr. Gloria Chukwukere
- Director, Doping, Medical and Scientific Research - Dr. Ken Anugweje
- Director, Security and Discipline - Navy Capt. Omatseye Nesiama
- Director, Technical - Mr. Sunday Bada
- Director, Finance and Sponsorship - Dr. Jide Josiah
- Director, Women Development - Mrs. Gloria Obajimi
- Director, Youth Development and Statistics - Alhaji Haruna Bako
- Director, Administration, Media and Publicity - Dr. Ogu Geoffrey Chukwuemeka