Nigeria has chosen a youthful team to represent her at next month's 12th IAAF World Championships in Athletics slated for August 15-23 in Berlin, Germany.
The Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) announced after the 20th NNPC/Mobil Track and Field Championship in Abuja a squad of 25 athletes who will represent the country at the championships.
The team will be lead by Olympic bronze medallist in Long Jump and reigning National sprint champion, Blessing Okagbare, Vivian Chukwuemeka (Shot Put) and Ajoke Muizat Odumosu (400m hurdles) who set a new national record during the Nigerian track and field championships.
"Those we have selected are to begin final round of camping at the Savannah Suites Resort here in Abuja under the supervision of the coaches we have also picked for the World Championships," AFN Technical director Sunday Bada said in a statement.
"Nigeria will present 25 athletes at the Berlin Championship and these are the athletes we believe will not disappoint at the event.
"Like I told you before, our greatest strength is in the relays and we are going to train hard to ensure good result in Berlin", he added.
The complete Nigeria team roster:
- Damola Osayomi, Halimat Ismaila and Gloria Kemasuode (100m, 4x100m).
- Blessing Okagbare (Long Jump, 4x100m)
- Folashade Abugan, Endurance Abinuwa (400m, 4x400m)
- Josephine Ehigie (4x400m)
- Ajoke Odumosu, Amaka Ogoegbulem (400m hurdles)
- Toyin Augustus, Seun Adigun (100m hurdles)
- Doreen Amata (High Jump)
- Vivian Chukwuemeka (Shot Put)
- Obinna Metu, Ogho-Oghene Egwero, Olusoji Fasuba (100m, 4x100m)
- Peter Emelieze (4x100m)
- Saul Weigopwa, Amaechi Morton, Noah Akwu and Bola Lawal (4x400m)
- Selim Nururdeen (110m hurdles)
- Akobundu Ikwuakor (400m hurdles)
- Stanley Gbagbeke (Long Jump)
- Tosin Oke (Triple Jump)