Kenya's Mary Jepkosgei Keitany today set a new women's Half Marathon world record with a time of One hour, five minutes and 50 seconds (65:50) at the 5th Ras Al Khaimah (RAK) Half Marathon in the United Arab Emirates.
Keitany, who was previously the second fastest woman in history with 1:06:36, slashed 35 seconds from the previous mark of 1:06:25 set by Dutchwoman Lornah Kiplagat at the 2007 World Half Marathon Championships in Udine, Italy.
The 29-year-old, who was also the 2009 World Half Marathon champion, debuted in marathon with a third place finish in 2:29:01 at the 2010 New York Marathon.
Two Ethiopians, Dire Tune (1:08:52) and Mare Dibaba (1:08:57) took the second and third positions respectively.
Ethiopian Deriba Merga won the men's race in a world leading time of 59:24 with Kenyans Bernard Kipyego (59:44) and Leonard Langat (59:52) second and third respectively.
Top Ten Results:
Position / Name / Nation / Prize Money / Time
- Deriba Merga (ETH) $25k 59:25
- Bernard Kipyego (KEN) $12k 59:45
- Leonard Langat (KEN) $9k 59:52 PB
- John Kiprotich (KEN) $5k 1:00:10
- Titus Masai (KEN) $4k 1:00:40
- Getu Feleke (ETH) $3k 1:01:28
- Maregu Terefe (ETH) $2k 1:02:03
- Dickson Marwa (TAN) $1.5k 1:02:04
- Hafid Chani (MOR) $1k 1:02:23 pb
- Alemayehu Shumye (ETH) $500 1:02:58 PB
- Mary Keitany (KEN) $25k + $50k WR 1:05:50 (WR)
- Dire Tune (ETH) $12k 1:08:52
- Mare Dibaba (ETH) $9k 1:08:57
- Rose Kosgei (KEN) $5k 1:09:04
- Agnes Kiprop (KEN) $4k 1:09:11
- Hilda Kibet (NED) $3k 1:09:35
- Sultan Haydar (TUR) $2k 1:10:02 debut
- Eunice Kales (KEN) $1.5k 1:10:41
- Christelle Daunay (FRA) $1k 1:11:14
- Aniko Kalovics (HUN) $500 1:13:45
© 2011 AthleticsAfrica.Com