The Kenyan team swept the podium at the 2011 Africa Cross Country Championships held in Cape Town, South Africa today.
Mercy Cherono won the senior women’s 8km race in 27 minutes 13 seconds ahead of compatriots Viola Kibiwott (27:14) and Doris Chengeiywo (27:22). Pauline Njeri (27:23) was fourth, Iness Chenonge (27:43) fifth with Lakwod Lipsang of Morocco (28.29) far back in sixth.
The African Junior 5,000m silver medallist, John Mwangangi, who is also the Kenyan team captain, claimed the senior men's 12km gold in 35:31 ahead of Stephen Kiprotich (35:34) and Henry Chirchir (35:35).
His compatriot Felix Kiprono (35:39) was fourth ahead of South Africans Sigosi Chesonane (36:32) and Stephen Mukoka (36:49).
In the Junior men’s 8k, Japheth Korir took the gold in 23:03 ahead of compatriots Patrick Muaka (Silver in 23:04), Nicholas Togom (bronze in 23:18), Gideon Kipketer (4th in 23:19), Dennis Kipruto (5th in 23:21) and Edwin Mokua (6th in 23:28).
Caroline Chepkoech took the junior women’s 6km gold in 19:59 ahead of Mary Mananu who settled for silver in 20:00 and Zipporah Wanjiru got the bronze medal in 20:05. They were followed by other Kenyans Jepchirchir Cheruiyot (20:09), Alice Aprot (20:12) and Norah Cherop (20:53) in fourth, fifth and sixth places respectively.
Senior Women’s 8km:
- Mercy Cherono (Kenya) 27:13;
- Viola Kibiwott ( Kenya) 27:14;
- Doris Chengeiywo (Kenya) 27:22;
- Pauline Njeri (Kenya) 27:23;
- Iness Chenonge (Kenya) 27:43;
- Lakwod Lipsang (Morocco) 28:29.
Senior Men’s 12km:
- John Mwangangi (Kenya) 35:31;
- Stephen Kiprotich (Kenya) 35:34;
- Henry Chirchir (Kenya) 35:35;
- Felix Kiprono (Kenya) 35:39;
- Sigosi Chesonane (RSA) 36:32;
- Stephen Mukoka (RSA) 36:49.
Junior Men’s 8km:
- Japheth Korir (Kenya) 23:03;
- Patrick Muaka (Kenya) 23:04;
- Nicholas Togom (Kenya) 23:18;
- Gideon Kipketer (Kenya) 23:19;
- Dennis Kipruto (Kenya) 23:21;
- Edwin Mokua (Kenya) 23:28.
Junior Women’s 6km:
- Caroline Chepkoech (Kenya) 19:59;
- Mary Mananu (Kenya) 20:00;
- Zipporah Wanjiru (Kenya) 20:05;
- Jepchirchir Cheruiyot (Kenya) 20:09;
- Alice Aprot (Kenya) 20:12;
- Norah Cherop (Kenya) 20:53.