Kenya’s Solomon Kirwa Yego and Ethiopia’s Worknesh Degefa took the titles at the 42nd edition of the famous Roma-Ostia Half Marathon, an IAAF Gold Label Race, on Sunday.
[link id=”900″ tax=”post_tag” text=”Kirwa Yego”] clocked a world-leading time of 58:44 – the fastest time in the world this year and an Italian all-comers’ record – to moved up to fourth on the all-time list.
The Kenyan also improved [link id=”354″ tax=”post_tag” text=”Wilson Kiprop”]’s course record from 2013 by 31 seconds and took 1:20 off his personal best set at the Udine half marathon last September.
Another Kenyan Leonard Kipkoech Langat was second with a lifetime best 59:18, while his other compatriots took up the top four places with Remmy Ndiwa Limo third in 1:00:06 and Peter Kwemoi fourth in 1:00:13.
Ethiopia’s [link id=”692″ tax=”post_tag” text=”Worknesh Degefa”] won the women’s race in fine style, clocking 1:07:08 for the victory and holding off [link id=”81″ tax=”category” text=”Kenya”]’s Angela Tanui by eight seconds.
Kenya’s Magdalene Masai settled for a third place on her half marathon debut in 1:07:30 while [link id=”82″ tax=”category” text=”Ethiopia”]’s Marta Lema Megra finished fourth in 1:07:58.
Kenya’s Peninah Arusei, the 2010 world half marathon bronze medallist, completed the top five, clocking 1:09:08 for fifth position.
Men (21,097 km):
- Solomon Kirwa Yego (KEN) 58:44
- Leonard Kipkoech Langat (KEN) 59:18
- Remmy Limo Ndiwa (KEN) 1:00:06
- Peter Kwemoi Ndorobo (KEN) 1:00:13
- Wami Kebede Tulu (ETH) 1:01:11
- Kennedy Kipyego (KEN) 1:01:21
- Roman Prodius (MDA) 1:03:37
- Xavier Chevrier (Atl. Valli Bergamasche Leffe) 1:03:43
- Derek Hawkins (GBR) 1:03:53
- Simone Gariboldi (Fiamme Oro) 1:03:59
Women (21,097 km):
- Worknesh Degefa Debele (ETH) 1:07:08
- Angela Tanui (KEN) 1:07:16
- Magdalene Masai (KEN) 1:07:30
- Marta Lema Megra (ETH) 1:07:58
- Peninah Arusei (KEN) 1:09:08
- Emmaculate Jebet (KEN) 1:10:38
- Martha Akeno (KEN) 1:11:11
- Federica Dal Ri (Esercito) 1:14:46
- Judit Varga (HUN) 1:14:56
- Federica Proietti (Calcestruzzi Corradini Excelsior Rubiera) 1:15:15
Meet The Authors
Yomi is the founder of Africa's number one track and field website - AthleticsAfrica. A multi award-winning editor, journalism innovator, media trainer, sports and digital transformation consultant.