Botswana's 400m champion, Isaac Izak Makwala, today smashed the African men's 400m record at the 35th Résisprint International athletics meeting, inside the Stade de la Charrière, in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland.
[link id="479" tax="post_tag" text="Isaac Makwala"], the fastest African over 400m in 2014, stormed over the finish line in 44.01 seconds - erasing the previous record of 44.10 set by Gary Kikaya of the DR Congo eight years ago (on September 9, 2006) in Stuttgart, Germany.
His compatriot [link id="492" tax="post_tag" text="Pako Seribe"] came second in 45.21 while Savior Kombe of Zambia finished third in 45.48.
Makwala's time, subject to ratification by the IAAF, is not only a new African record, but also the third fastest time this year and a new national record for Botswana.
Makwala later came back to win the men's 200m in a stunning 19.96 seconds, another national record for the [link id="96" tax="category" text="Botswana"] star, and bettered the meets records for the 200m (20.29 by Stéphane Buckland of [link id="173" tax="category" text="Mauritius"]) and the 400m ( 44.64 by Leslie Djhone of France).
Nigerian-born Femi Ogunode of Qatar clocked 20.32 for second place and Mosito Lehata of Lesotho finished in third place in 20.73.
100m - Men
- Femi Ogunode (Qatar) 10.10
- Mosito Lehata (Lesotho) 10.23
- Simon Magakwe (Afrique du sud/RSA) 10.26
100m - Women
- Horn Carina (Afrique du sud/ RSA) 11.25
- Ta Lou Gonezie Marie Josée (France) 11.38
- Ikuesan Ayodele (France) 11.38
200m - Men
- Isaac Makwala (Botswana) 19.96
- Femi Ogunode (Qatar) 20.32
- Mosito Lehata (Lesotho) 20.73
- Demonte Enrico (Italy) 20.82
- Simon Magakwe (Afrique du sud/RSA) 21.09
400m - Men
- Isaac Makwala (Botswana) 44.01
- Pako Seribe (Botswana) 45.21
- Savior Kombe (Zambia) 45.48
- Pecceu David (France) 46.45
[icon size="small" class="icon-border" name="file-text"] See the Full 2014 Results: