Kenya will be sending her largest ever African championships team to the 20th edition of the African Senior Athletics Championships in Durban, South Africa.
Kenya will be represented by a team of 69 athletes selected by Athletics Kenya (AK) during the national championships last month.
Samson Kitur, head coach of the Durban 2016 bound Kenyan team, believes the team has the capacity to chalk up their fourth overall win at the continental championship taking place between 22 and 26 June.
"We are hopeful that the team will go out there and compete successfully with what the continent has to offer," said Kitur.
"This is the largest contingent that the country will be taking to the championships owing to the high number of sprinters considered unlike in the past."
"There is also a lot at stake for them (sprinters) since they will be chasing either personal bests or qualification times for the Rio 2016 Olympics,” added Kitur.
Nigeria has the highest number of victories in African championships history with Eight. South Africa, this year's hosts are second with Seven and Kenya is in third place with Three.
Team Kenya – African Senior Championships Durban 2016:
- 100m Women: Eunice Kadogo, Monica Zaphania, Damaris Mbula
- 100m Men: Mike Mokamba, Mark Otieno
- 100m Hurdles Men: Priscilla Tambunda, Veronica Chebet
- 110m Hurdles Men: William Mbevi
- 200m Women: Mary Atanui, Millicent Ndoro, Eunice Kadogo
- 400m women: Margaret Nyairera, Maureen Thomas, Hellen Syombua
- 400m Men: Alphas Kishoyian, Raymond Kibet Stanley Kieti, Boniface Mweresa
- 800m Women: Emily Cherotich, Sylvia Chesebe
- 800m Men: Boaz Kiprugut
- 400m Hurdles Men: Haron Koech, Boniface Mucheru,Kiprono Koskei
- 400m Hurdles Women: Maureen Jelagat, Jane Chege
- 1,500m Women: Judy Kiyeng, Sela Jepleting, Sandrafelis Chebet
- 1,500m Men: Vincent Letting, Timothy Cheruiyot, Eric Kiptanui
- 3,000m SC Women: Norah Jeruto, Agnes Chesang
- 3,000m SC Men: Abraham Kibiwott, Phenus Kipleting
- 5,000m Women: Sheila Jepkirui, Margaret Chelimo
- 5,000m Men: Mangata Ndiwa, Peter Lagat
- 10,000m Women: Alice Aprot, Jackline Chepngeno, Joseph Jepkosgei
- 10,000 Men: Wilfred Kimitei, Stephen Arita
- Long Jump Men: Tera Lagat
- Triple Jump Men: Elijah Kimetei
- High Jump Men: Mathew Sawe
- Javelin Men: Nelson Yego, Alex Kiprotich
- Hammer Women: Rebecca Kerubo
- 20km walk Women: Grace Wanjiru, Linda Waweru
- 20km Walk Men: Samule Kireri, Simon Wachira
- Decathlon Men: Gilbert Koech
- 4x100m Women: Eunice Kadogo, Monica Zaphania, Damaris Mbula, Fresha Mwangi
- 4x400m Women: Jacinta Shikanda, Margaret Nyairera, Maureen Thomas, Hellen Syombua
*NOTE: A few athletes such as Winnie Chebet, Jonathan Kitilit and Nicholas Kiplagat (800m); Lydia Rotich (3000m Steeplechase); Kenneth Kipkemboi (10,000m) and Sheila Chelangat (5,000m) pulled out from the original team announced after the selection trials.
(Share this: [wpbitly])