Reigning World 400m champion Wayde van Niekerk will lead a strong South African team of 96 athletes to the 20th CAA African Senior Athletics Championships in Durban, South Africa next week.
Wayde van Niekerk, who moved up to third on the all-time 300m list after clocking 31.03 for victory at the JN Racers Grand Prix in Kingston, Jamaica last Saturday, will however only compete in the men’s 200m and the relays.
Also making the team of 52 men, 44 women athletes, one of the largest teams ever to represent South Africa, are defending African Javelin champion Sunette Viljoen, 2009 World 800m champion Caster Semenya, sprinters Akani Simbine and Henricho Bruintjies.
In a statement to unveil the final team, Aleck Skhosana, President of Athletics South Africa (ASA) said that as the host of the Championships, ASA must ensure it entered the best possible team to compete with the best of the continent.
“It’s a massive opportunity for us to showcase the various talents of our athletes to the African continent,” said Skhosana.
“With the slogan of this Championships being ‘I am an African’, the size and quality of this team will demonstrate to the continent that South Africa is trully part of Africa,” Skhosana added.
This year continental championship serves as the last chance for the South Africa athletes to gain selection to the national squad for the Rio 2016 Olympics later this year.
The 2016 CAA African Senior Athletics Championships will commence on 22 June and end on 26 June.
Team SA – African Senior Championships Durban 2016:
- 100m: Akani Simbine (AGN), Henricho Bruintjies (AGN), Gift Leotlela (AGN)
- 200m: Akani Simbine (AGN), Wayde van Niekerk (AFS), Clarence Munyai (AGN)
- 400m: Thapelo Phora (AGN), Pieter Conradie (ACNW), Shaun de Jager (BOLA)
- 800m: Jacob Rozani (ANWN), Kabelo Mohlosi (ACNW), Rynardt van Rensburg (AFS)
- 1,500m: Dumisane Hlaselo (CGA), Johan Cronje (AFS)
- 5,000m: Elroy Gelant (ACNW)
- 10,000m: Stephen Mokoka (AGN), Gladwin Mzazi (CGA)
- 3,000m steeplechase: Rantso Mokopane (ACNW)
- 110m hurdles: Antonio Alkana (WPA), Ruan de Vries (AGN), Tshepo Lefete (CGA)
- 400m hurdles: Lindsay Hanekom (AGN), LJ van Zyl (AGN), Cornel Fredericks (AGN)
- High jump: Keagan Fourie (BOLA), Chris Moleya (AGN), Garth Ellis (EPA)
- Pole vault: Eben Beukes (AGN), Migael Cilliers (AGN), Heinrich Smit (AGN)
- Long jump: Ruswahl Samaai (CGA), Luvo Manyonga (AGN), Stefan Brits (BOLA)
- Triple jump: Khotso Mokoena (CGA), Menzi Mthembu (CGA), Reneilwe Aphane (AGN)
- Shot put: Orazio Cremona (AGN), Jaco Engelbrecht (CGA), Burger Lambrechts Sr (AGN)
- Discus throw: Victor Hogan (BOLA), Russell Tucker (AGN), Dewald van Heerden (CGA)
- Hammer throw: Chris Harmse (AFS), Tshepang Makhethe (ACNW), Johan Kruger (BOLA)
- Javelin throw: Philmar van Rensburg (AGN), Chad Herman (AGN), Tobie Holtzhausen (ACNW)
- Decathlon: Fredriech Pretorius (AGN), Willem Coertzen (ACNW)
- 20km walk: Lebogang Shange (CGA), Wayne Snyman (AGN), Marc Mundell (AGN)
- 100m: Carina Horn (AGN), Alyssa Conley (CGA), Tebogo Mamathu (AGN)
- 200m: Conley, Tamzyn Thomas (WPA), Justine Palframan (BOLA)
- 400m: Tsholofelo Thipe (ANWN), Zoe Engler (KZNA), Jenelle Griesel (AGN)
- 800m: Caster Semenya (ACNW), Liza Kellerman (CGA)
- 1,500m: Caster Semenya (ACNW), Dominique Scott (WPA)
- 5,000m: Dominique Scott (WPA), Irvette van Zyl (AGN)
- 10,000m: Dominique Scott (WPA), Glenrose Xaba (AMPU), Keneilwe Sesing (CGA)
- 3,000m steeplechase: Nolene Conrad (WPA)
- 100m hurdles: Claudia Heunis (AGN), Maryke Brits (AFS), Taylon Bieldt (AGN)
- 400m hurdles: Wenda Nel (AGN), Jean-Mare Senekal (BOLA), Gezelle Magerman (AGN)
- High jump: Julia du Plessis (ACNW), Britanny Uys (KZNA), Yvonne Robson (AMPU)
- Pole vault: Jodie Sedras (BOLA), Esli Lamley (AFS), Christie Nell (BOLA)
- Long jump: Lynique Prinsloo (AGN), Maryke Brits (AFS), Samantha Pretorius (BOLA)
- Triple jump: Patience Ntshingila (CGA), Zinzi Chabangu (CGA)
- Shot put: Ischke Senekal (EPA), Lezaan Jordaan (CGA)
- Discus throw: Ischke Senekal (EPA, Leandri Geel (CGA)
- Hammer throw: Stefanie Greyling (ACNW), Margo Chene Coetzee (AGN), Marga Cumming (EPA)
- Javelin throw: Sunette Viljoen (ACNW), Megan Wilke (ACNW), Jo-Ane van Dyk (ACNW)
- Heptathlon: Bianca Erwee (ACNW), Nienka du Toit (BOLA)
- 20km walk: Anel Osthuizen (CGA)
(Share this story: [wpbitly])
Meet The Authors
Yomi is the founder of Africa's number one track and field website - AthleticsAfrica. A multi award-winning editor, journalism innovator, media trainer, sports and digital transformation consultant.